Dillian Whyte confirmed as challenger to winner of Tyson Fury’s trilogy fight against Deontay Wilder

Dillian Whyte confirmed as challenger to winner of Tyson Fury’s trilogy fight against Deontay Wilder on Saturday – as WBC announce long-term plans for their world heavyweight belt

  • Tyson Fury faces a trilogy fight against Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas on Saturday
  • Dillian Whyte next fights Otto Wallin on October 30 at London’s O2 Arena 
  • Fury has said that he wants to fight Whyte in December if he beats Wilder
  • The WBC have confirmed that Whyte will be the mandatory challenger if he wins 











Dillian Whyte has essentially been confirmed as the challenger to the winner of Saturday’s trilogy fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder. 

Fury and Wilder lock horns for the third – and likely final – time in Las Vegas, with the WBC world heavyweight belt on the line. 

With Whyte a huge favourite in his next fight against Otto Wallin on October 30 at London’s O2 Arena, the WBC have now confirmed that the winner of that bout will be their mandatory challenger to the winner of Fury vs Wilder. 

Fury (pic) and Wilder lock horns for the third - and likely final - time in Las Vegas

Dillian Whyte (L) has essentially been confirmed as the challenger to the winner of Saturday’s trilogy fight between Tyson Fury (R) and Deontay Wilder

Fury is set for his first fight in 20 months when he takes on Wilder again on Saturday

Fury is set for his first fight in 20 months when he takes on Wilder again on Saturday 

The WBC have stated their preference for a unification bout against Oleksandr Usyk, but with the Ukrainian’s rematch against Anthony Joshua in the pipeline, it should hand Whyte his long-awaited world title shot. 

A WBC statement read: ‘The WBC Board of Governors has reviewed the recent history in the Heavyweight Division.

‘Considering the long inactivity in the division due to the pandemic, ongoing legal processes, and Covid-19 infections, the WBC has ruled that the winner of this fight will have 30 days to secure a contract to unify the Heavyweight Division against WBO-IBF-WBA champion Oleksandr Usyk in search of an undisputed champion in the division.

‘If no unification bout is secured within that time, the winner of Fury v. Wilder 3 must then fight next against the then reigning WBC Interim Heavyweight Champion.’ 

Whyte had said earlier this week that he doubted a fight against Fury would materialise, despite the Gypsy King admitting he wanted to fight his compatriot in December this year should he beat Wilder. 

Whyte had said earlier this week that he doubted a fight against Fury would materialise

Whyte had said earlier this week that he doubted a fight against Fury would materialise 

Whyte told the PA News Agency: ‘Tyson Fury hasn’t spoken to anyone from my team about any fight. If he was serious, he would have sent emails or phone calls and we’d have been talking.

‘If he was serious I would probably have even waited for him and not fought until December. But these fights are big fights, big fights don’t get made in one or two months. There’s a lot of things that need to happen. 

‘If he’s serious, he would have been trying to make the fight now. He just talks rubbish. He’s a clown, I can’t take a clown seriously. What do you do at clowns? You laugh at them.’ 

Source link

Share

What do you think?

Comments

Leave a Reply

Jason Sudeikis Jokes About the Time Ex Olivia Wilde Cut His Hair on TV

Allan Saint-Maximin posts ‘good morning’ meme with Newcastle’s £300m Saudi takeover edging closer