Steve Bruce has admitted that he fears he will be sacked by Newcastle United’s new Saudi Arabian owners.
The Magpies are now under new ownership after a £305million deal was agreed with Mike Ashley and signed off by the Premier League.
The Premier League confirmed the takeover had been signed off after receiving ‘legally binding assurances’ that the Saudi state would not control the club – and Bruce believes the writing is now on the wall regarding his future.
Steve Bruce has admitted he fears he will lose his job once the new Newcastle owners are in
‘I want to continue, I’d like the chance to show the new owners what I can do, but you have to be realistic and they may well want a new manager to launch things for them,’ Bruce told the Telegraph. ‘New owners normally want a new manager. I’ve been around long enough to understand that.
‘That decision is not up to me. I accept that and I will accept what comes my way. I have to wait to have those conversations with people when the time is right.
‘If I don’t make it to a 1,000 games against Spurs, you might say that could only happen to me, but I don’t think it would be cruel. It’s just football.’
‘I am not going to be bitter or angry about anything, whatever happens. Of course there will be sadness if I lose my job, it’s the job I’ve wanted my whole life, certainly since I became a manager and as hard as it’s been, I have been enormously proud to be manager of Newcastle United. That will never change.’
Bruce’s team currently find themselves second-bottom of the Premier League table
Shortly after the takeover announced, Amanda Staveley, Chief Executive Officer of PCP Capital Partners and one of the main driving forces in getting the takeover done, revealed that she has already spoken to Bruce and club captain Jamaal Lascelles about the club’s future, before insisting that she’s made no decision on whether Bruce will lead the club forward into the new era.
The news will delight Newcastle fans, who flocked to St James’ Park to celebrate that the takeover had been completed on Thursday.
The north-east club are now set to become one of the richest in the world, and it is expected that the takeover will pave the way for a spending spree in the coming transfer windows.
Bruce has come under heavy criticism from Newcastle fans in recent years, with the Newcastle United Supporters Trust calling for him to resign in the ‘best interests’ of the club.
The Newcastle United Supporters Trust called on Bruce to resign earlier this week
The group revealed on Tuesday that 94.3 per cent of their members are in favour of Bruce leaving and have urged the club to take immediate action.
Newcastle are 19th in the Premier League table after seven matches without a victory and fans are continuing to voice their feelings against Bruce from the stands. The 60-year-old is protected by a multi-million-pound pay-off and has insisted he will not quit.
Sportsmail revealed last month that there is a growing resentment towards Bruce among his squad, although the hierarchy will only be minded to act were they to believe the team are in danger of relegation.
However, NUST say nearly 96 per cent of their members are not confident of survival this season.
A statement read: ‘We asked our members if they believed Steve Bruce should resign in the best interests of Newcastle United, and from over 5,000 responses a resounding 94.3 per cent said yes.
Newcastle fans flocked to St James’ to celebrate that the £305m takeover had gone through
‘The board of NUST strongly encourages Newcastle United and manager Steve Bruce to listen to the fans.
‘The discontent among our fanbase is completely justified.
‘Fan optimism is at a serious low and Newcastle United is in serious danger of being relegated for a third time under the current owner.’
The NUST have also revealed that a ‘resounding’ 96.7 per cent of members had wanted the consortium to take control.
NUST said in an open letter posted on Twitter that ‘for the first time in many years’ fans felt the new owners could help Newcastle realise their full potential.
The letter read: ‘For the first time in many years we believe our desire for an ambitious Newcastle United that strives to be the best it can be can be a reality under your ownership.
‘We admire your desire and tenacity to buy our football club despite the protracted issues with the Premier League, and we appreciate your clear understanding of the special place that Newcastle United holds in our communities, the passion of our supporters and your commitment to developing Newcastle United.’
NUST said it was excited at the prospect of a partnership ‘between supporters and owners that will bring with it the first real hope for many years’.
The fans’ group’s letter continued: ‘We look forward to learning more details of your plans for Newcastle United and I can assure you that our members will welcome you to Newcastle United.
‘In April 2020 we asked our members if they were in favour of your takeover bid with a resounding 96.7 per cent in agreement.’
NUST added: ‘We look forward to working with you to rejuvenate one of the greatest football clubs in England and I would like to extend an invitation to you to meet with the Board and I in the coming weeks.’