‘It’s Oleksandr Usyk next… or don’t bother!’: Tyson Fury’s father John tells his heavyweight champion son to ignore Dillian Whyte and others who ‘are not in his class’ – and only focus on fighting Anthony Joshua’s conqueror
- Tyson Fury beat Deontay Wilder on Saturday in a thrilling Las Vegas contest
- The Gypsy King’s father, John, says his son can only take on Oleksandr Usyk next
- Fury Senior has dismissed the idea of his son taking on fellow Brit Dillian Whyte
- WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO title holder Usyk will rematch Anthony Joshua next year
Tyson Fury’s father has told the Gypsy King to fight Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk next and not to bother with other fighters who are ‘not in his class’, like Dillian Whyte.
Fury defeated arch-rival Deontay Wilder in Saturday night’s trilogy fight in Las Vegas in a thrilling encounter which saw the Gypsy King floored twice by his opponent in round four, before sealing the win via an 11th round stoppage.
The Briton has now retained his WBC and Ring Magazine title as he continues his rise to the top of the heavyweight industry, but his father John has admitted that Usyk – who beat Anthony Joshua in London last month – is the only fight he should go for next.
John Fury (above) has told his son Tyson to fight Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk in his next fight
Fury (back) beat Deontay Wilder (front) on Saturday night in a thrilling Las Vegas showdown
Defeating Usyk would make Fury the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world as the Gypsy King would pull in the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO titles the Ukrainian took off Joshua in September – but the pair are set to have a rematch next year.
Other pundits believe that WBC interim heavyweight title holder Dillian Whyte should have the chance to take on Fury, but John believes the Gypsy King would not raise his game for that fight.
‘He’s got to go for Usyk or nothing in my idea. It’s Usyk next or nothing’ Fury Senior told talkSPORT. ‘I wouldn’t bother with the rest of them, they’re not in Tyson’s class.
Fury Senior says Usyk (above) would be the only fighter the Gypsy King would be excited for
‘Would Dillian Whyte deal with Deontay Wilder? No. So why would you want to put him in with my son and get him knocked out?
‘At the end of the day, he just got knocked out by a 42-year-old man (Alexander Povetkin) via a slap by the back of his hand.
‘Tyson can’t get up for them kind of fights. He wouldn’t raise his game for that fight as he’s not big enough. And then he goes in there with a lacklustre attitude and you don’t see the best of Tyson.
‘You only see the best of Tyson when he’s against the best. A challenge like he had (against Wilder) and it was a great fight. For me, I told him: Usyk or don’t bother.’
Fury’s father has rejected the idea that Dillian Whyte (above) would be a good fight for his son
Whyte lost to Russian veteran Povetkin via a fifth-round knockout in August 2020, but the Body Snatcher claimed back his WBC interim title by defeating the 42-year-old in March of this year.
The Briton is set to take on Swedish boxer Otto Wallin, 30, at the end of this month at the O2 Arena in London.
With Joshua and Usyk destined for a rematch after the former activated a second fight clause in the contract, Fury’s team hinted at facing the winner of that bout in around 12 months time.
Usyk (left) is set to rematch Anthony Joshua (right) next year after the Ukrainian won in London
‘Maybe we can make the winner of that (Joshua vs Usyk) fight,’ Warren said after Fury beat Wilder on Saturday.
‘Autumn, maybe this time next year. They are talking about putting that fight on some time in March, so they’ll need six months after that, so that’s when it would happen.
‘It’d be an ideal world for Anthony Joshua not to go for the rematch so we can just get straight to it.’