Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley leaves the club after 22 years with the Magpies following a handover period with the new Saudi owners
Newcastle United have confirmed the departure of managing director Lee Charnley from the club.
Charnley’s 22-year stay at the club came to an end following a handover period with the Magpies’ new Saudi-led ownership.
He had been the managing director at the club for the past seven years but following the £305million takeover by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, the club’s new Board will continue to oversee all operations.
Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley (right with ex-owner Mike Ashley) has left the club
The club confirmed Charnley had left following a handover period with the new owners
The departing managing director had played a key role under former owner Mike Ashley with some influence over transfer activity and he saw 16 managers come and go during his spell at St. James’ Park, including the recently sacked Steve Bruce.
On his departure, Charnley said: ‘To have been at Newcastle United for 22 years has been an honour and a privilege, and the club, its people and our city will always be very special to me.
‘As it enters a new chapter in its history under new owners, I wish Amanda, the rest of the Board and everyone connected with the club every success.’
Newcastle’s new director Amanda Staveley said: ‘I would like to thank Lee sincerely for his support and professionalism during this time of change. His knowledge and assistance have been hugely appreciated by the club’s new Board.
Amanda Staveley (left with new boss Eddie Howe and Mehrdad Ghodoussi) thanked Charnley
‘Lee ends a long association with the club and on behalf of the Board, staff and players, I’d like to wish him the very best for the future.’
Newcastle announced the new owners have begun the search to appoint a chief executive officer in his place.
The Board is currently made up of Yasir Al-Rumayyan, Staveley and James Reuben, which stresses the need for a CEO.
The Magpies are also reportedly looking to bring in a sporting director with former Chelsea chief Michael Emenalo topping their transfer chief wish list.
Emenalo built a stellar reputation within the game during his time at Chelsea, and harnessed the club’s ability to create youth academy products to great success.
He was also responsible for bringing in the likes of Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Luakaku while at Stamford Bridge.
Ajax’s Marc Overmars also emerged as a candidate for the position on Tyneside.
Michael Emenalo has emerged as the frontrunner for the Director of Football role at Newcastle
Howe, 43, was due to be in the St James’ Park dugout for the visit of Brentford on Saturday
The Dutchman joined the Eredivisie side in 2012 and his deal runs until 2024 but he could activate a clause that allows him to walk away on three months notice for an elite European club.
But the pair are said to have further competition in Lille director Luis Campos.
Newcastle were dealt a major blow on Friday when new boss Eddie Howe was confirmed to be missing his first match in charge of after testing positive for Covid-19.
The 43-year-old learned the news on Friday following a routine test, just 24 hours before the visit of Brentford to St James’ Park.
Assistant head coaches Jason Tindall and Graeme Jones will now lead the team as they go in search of their first win of the season.